PIAAM STATE A BEAUTIFULLY
The authentic thatched Frisian farmhouse has a proud place on the monument list and dates from the 17th century. When Antoinette and Tjerk Groeneveld purchase the farm in Piaam in 2002 the house still had an agricultural appropriation and seventy cows still dwelt the cubical sheds. Under the direction of the new owners the beautifully restored farmhouse gained five lovely rooms and a spacious apartment.
DISCOVER THE BEAUTIFUL GARDEN
Throughout the large garden
various seats have been placed where you can relax completely.
Our guests especially value the terrace and the natural pond. Just as the luxurious outdoor pool. The garden also includes an entertainment area for children, with a large trampoline and a swing. The farm houses horses, sheep, goats, chickens and cats and in the winter is even home to a large flock of wild geese.
HOW ABOUT A Swimming POOL?
You may not expect this
but the swimming pool (5×12 m)
was built in the former manure silo
The pool water is heated by solar panels. Around the swimming pool there is a 220 m2 terrace with various seats, plants and sun beds. Here you can sit, sheltered from the wind and out of site, with a fantastic view over the countryside. The swimming pool is available to all guests of Piaam State. Toilet facilities and a pantry were created for the pool in the nearby stall barn.
History of Piaam State
THE PROTECTED VILLAGE PIAAM
SET AGAINST THE IJSSELMEERDIJK 2KM AWAY
MAKKUM AND 8 KM FROM WORKUM.
It is a village of about fifty people and it has a protected village. Opposite the church dating from the 12th century is the monumental thatched Frisian farmhouse “Piaam State”.
Your hostess Antoinette Groeneveld and her husband Tjerk Groeneveld (deceased † 11-11-2011), purchased the farm in 2002. At that time the farm still had an agricultural appropriation and housed approximately seventy milk cows. Antoinette and Tjerk immediately fell in love with the look of the farm, with its panoramic views and also the resolve that a village like Piaam offers.
In 2003 demolition was started on 30 meters of the in total 50 meters of cubical sheds and the removal of the sheets and concrete. This was replaced with a beautiful garden which includes the existing stable with a number of horse boxes for the present horses and ponies. A luxurious solar panel heated pool of 5 x 12 x 1, 50 meter was built in the former manure silo, surrounded by various seats, plants and sun beds on the 220 m2 terrace. In this period the sketches were developed by the architect, in cooperation with Monumentenzorg, the city and the owners.
The renovations and restoration started in September 2005 with the hull of the building. The hull was built in 1774 from the head which dates from 1650. According to history the head of the farmhouse was built as commander home, which is why the house is somewhat longer than normal. Back then Piaam was still located on the Zuiderzee and there was most probably also a garrison. The 5 guest rooms with private shower and toilet and the common area were created in one part of the hull, where only the walls remained standing during the restoration. A luxury apartment was also created in the hull.
History of Piaam
Piaam is found in ancient texts
as early as 1555 under the name Pianghum.
The village is picturesquely situated at the IJselmeerdijk (just behind the former Zuiderzeekust) between Makkum and Workum and is considered as a protected village. The Dutch Reformed Church and the Nynke Pleats are monuments.
The village area extends to the Feitemeer drained in 1876/’79 and Parregaastermeer in the East. Here you find the Polder Kooihuizen, named after nearby farms, and two duck decoys. These old duck decoys are famous for being used to trade trapped water fowl in Holland, these days one is used to ring the water fowl. A few fields can still be found near the village center but otherwise not much remains of the previously all-important small-scale agriculture. The area now only farms livestock. Some substantial Haubargs and a few houses mark the entry into the little town and two monumental Frisian farmhouses indicate the end of the village in the East. The main street bends towards the 12th century brick village church. In 1555 the residents requested a slate roof; apparently the roof was still made from thatch which suffered from storms this near to the coast. It’s been reported: ‘Pyanghum is nyet beplant met eenighe boemen’ (Pyanghum was not planted with any flowers).
The West facade was renewed and during the restoration in 1953 the round arched windows in the chancel was repaired and the chancel again received Gothic pointed arches. The North side has a hagioscope in the masonry. South of the Church is the lovely, monumental Frisian farmhouse ‘Piaam State’. This farm has a front facade of red stone, decorated on the transition to the top and in the top with Friesians with braiding of red and yellow stone. East of the church is the lovely Frisian farmhouse ‘Group accommodation ‘de Nynke Pleats’ which dates from the 18th century. Piaam has never had a parish because the church community was combined with the Idsegahuizum and the parish was located there.